Touchwood Homes’ passivhaus solution is provided by our I beam structure (with studs/rafters at 400mm centres) wrapped externally with our unique 15mm thick airtight board over the entire external surface, to give a very robust airtight layer. This approach has proved itself successful in regularly providing air test results of 0.3 ach, and the I beams (vs twin wall) give a very rigid structure creating a strong and comfortable living space.
- The essential airtight layer is provided by a 15mm thick board fixed to the entire external surface of the frame resulting in a very robust solution that offers less opportunity for mishap / accidental damage by follow on trades*.
- The home maintains a stable internal air temperature due to the high density insulation (typically 6-8 tonnes of insulation per house).
- The foundation slab is inside the thermal envelope so contributes to the total thermal mass to the structure.
- Excellent air quality provided by the PAUL /Zehnder MVHR unit that supplies the house with constant filtered fresh air.
- There are no cold draughts inside the home due to air-tight construction.
- A very quiet, calm internal space from super dense cellulose insulation and triple glazed windows.
*In a conventional build, this would merely consist of a membrane stuck to the face of the frame by means of adhesive tape.