For passivhaus homes the heating demand is so low that a conventional heating system isn't needed, so saving substantial build and running costs. The minimal heating required can be delivered by a small heater in the MVHR system.
- The essential airtight layer is provided by a 15mm thick board fixed to the entire external surface of the frame resulting in a very robust solution that offers less opportunity for mishap / accidental damage by follow on trades*.
- The home maintains a stable internal air temperature due to the high density insulation (typically 6-8 tonnes of insulation per house).
- The foundation slab is inside the thermal envelope so contributes to the total thermal mass
- Excellent air quality from MVHR unit that supplies the house with constant filtered fresh air.
- There are no cold draughts inside the home due to air-tight construction
- A very quiet, calm internal space from super dense cellulose insulation and triple glazed windows.
*In a conventional build, this would merely consist of a membrane stuck to the face of the frame by means of adhesive tape.